You can find different types of gemstones currently available on online stores, and they are classified as the collector’s stones. This is because they are too brittle, soft or too rare in the jewellery market. Even though there are several varieties of gemstones you can find in the market, Ametyst eller amethyst er der også nogle der kalder det which is also known as calcite is really a good thing to consider, and it is a very rare piece of gemstone.
What is calcite?
Calcite is actually the carbonate mineral which is a highly stable form of the calcium carbonate which is also one of the commonly used minerals on the globe. It can only be used in the making of jewellery because it will not get any scratches or knocks. This gemstone can be added to the pendants and earrings. The hardness of this gemstone is just similar to some other forms of the popular gemstones such as coral, amber and chrysocolla. Calcite is not only the soft gemstone, but it is also sensitive to acid like the several other forms of carbonates because the acid can completely dissolve it.
Calcite is not a durable material because it has more polish. Whenever you are considering the pure calcium carbonate, it is colourless but this calcite is coloured by containing the different impurities such as magnesium, iron, zinc, manganese or cobalt. This is why calcite can be easily found in the different range of colours including grey, white, green, yellow, blue red and in many colours. It is considered to be the common ingredient of the sedimentary rocks and also the limestone which is generally formed from the skins of the dead marine organisms. About 10 % of all the sedimentary rock is most probably the limestone.
More information about calcite:
· When you consider calcite, it is a primary mineral existing in the metamorphic marble and occurs as the vein mineral in the deposits from the hot spring season.
· At the same time, it is created in caverns as the stalagmites and stalactites.
· It is a major ore of the calcium and crucial in forming the base of the cement and several other applications in the construction industry.
· Most of the popular chemicals are made only from the calcite, and it is very important in the manufacturing process of the glass, fertilizer, metal, paint and also rubber.
· As it is the transparent one, it is also used as prisms to polarize the microscopes and some other related optical devices.